Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Podcasting - videos and downloadable audio

Youtube rocks!! I love it. I haven't done one search yet that hasn't brought up some videos worth watching. Not all are worth watching of course - but I am really amazed at the talent out there. The standard of some of the videos is really high - even the fan videos that are just basically photos, or videos, taken by someone else and edited to music.
I think youtube is a great way to share information. It's hosted free - so you don't have to worry about storage - and you have the potential to reach millions of people. Yes, once it is on Youtube you lose control and it enters the public domain - but that's ok by me - I am one of those people that believe that information wants to be free. I have found Youtube really addictive - and find that when you search for one video it suggests others on the same theme and it can be *really* hard to drag yourself away.
I like this one about Mac Vs PCs - it is based on the Mac Vs PC ads put out by Mac.



I'm less enthusiastic about audio podcasts - mainly because I think they can become a bit boring. The challenge with doing good podcasts is not the technology, which is easy to master, but writing a script that is interesting. They are a good way to give out information - if you can stay away from the long recording of one voice speaking in a flat monotone - which is what the very worse podcasts consist of.
I like the podcasts that are done as interviews or conversations with more than one voice - and although they are almost always scripted to some degree they seem to run more naturally. I think podcasts are a great tool - if you can keep them interesting. Another problem with podcasts is that they are supposed to follow the 'feed and subscribe' model - ie the are supposed to be in a series. I think this could be really great for lectures etc where you have a captive audience (people that have missed the lecture will pretty much have to listen to the podcast). but most of library use for podcasts would be in one off training sessions. Podcasts can include images and video of course - but how many areas in the library lend themselves to regular updates? New additions to the collection in different subject areas perhaps?
In a general sort of way I'd rather put up little individual videos on YouTube than make a series of podcasts - though there is no doubt podcasts are technically easier to make and allow you to restrict the audience in a way YouTube doesn't.

No comments: