Wednesday, September 5, 2007

RSS Feeds

The whole RSS feed thing is fun, but also a scary time vacuum.
My problem is that I am interested in almost everything - so I start off looking at some librarian's work related blog, then click on the photo of her dog, and then find myself an hour later reading all about Jack Russell racing in England.
RSS feeders don't stop me doing this - they just let me do it more efficiently.
I suppose part of the joy of the Web is that you never know where you will end up - but it really does exercise all your time management muscles.
I am quickly becoming a Net-Junky and have decided to get a laptop and broadband connection at home so I can feed this addiction in the privacy of my own home.
Does anyone else have this problem? If you do, what strategies are you using to overcome it? I'm thinking of not logging on until after 4pm but I'm open to other ideas.

I set up a bloglines reader because that is one of the 23 things I am supposed to do, but I must admit I much prefer Google Reader. I have now subscribed to the blogs of everyone else in the group and so know when something new has been added.

Of course being me, I've also subscribed to many MANY other blogs, all of which are terribly interesting and all of which are quite active. When I barely have time to read these blogs it does make me wonder how others find the time to write them.

2 comments:

eyesee said...

I do agree that SOME people can get carried away with the whole 'net' thing and spend hours just surfing, and become net junkies. (Personally I'd rather be surfing on the ocean not the web). The links can be so enticing, and once you have a taste it can lead you to all manner of interesting, totaly inane but addictive sites.

And then I end up feeling guilty when my eyes need a rest from the screen and I look out the window at the poor neglected garden and the hound looking at me with those soulful eyes....

The Cat in the Hat said...

It's fun, but it takes oh! so much time up I feel. Like eyesee, when the weather is nice I immediately want to head to the beach, bush, garden etc. Don't go for the laptop....go for walking shoes instead.